Archive for ND&S Updates

Spending Restraint Evaporates

August 29, 2016 

The large-cap markets took a breather last week, with the S&P 500 declining 0.67%, while the smaller-cap Nasdaq 100 only fell 0.37% and the Russell 2000 was able to advance by 0.11%. The Jackson Hole monetary commentary produced some late-week market volatility. Futures markets increased the probability of September [36% chance of an increase] and December [64%] Fed Funds increases, but the Fed won’t increase rates ahead of the presidential election. It has become clear that global economic conditions are key to Fed decisions, not US economic data reports.

On the fiscal front, the Federal government is ramping up spending far faster than tax revenues, producing the inevitable increase in the deficit. The Congressional Budget Office now forecasts that Fiscal 2016 federal spending will increase by $178 B while tax revenue [due to lackluster GDP growth] will increase by only $26 B, thus increasing the deficit to $590B [from $438B last year].

Putting this in perspective, debt held by the public will be back up to 76.6% of GDP, the highest since 1950, when the US was repaying the enormous cost of World War 2! Even more disturbing, as the following chart shows, current projections call for this burden to exceed 80% by ~2022. This is a lot, even for a reserve-currency country.

Past needn’t be prologue, but it will take uncommon resolve by the next administration to improve these trends.

“History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals and many copies”Alexis de Tocqueville

Fed Watch

August 23, 2016 

Last week most equity markets advanced modestly as the S&P 500, the DJIA, and the NASDAQ were up .06%, .02%, and .16%, respectively. The utility and telecom sectors were the worst performers for the week as investors took profits in the two sectors which have been the best performers YTD. Interest rates rose slightly for the week with the yield on the 10 year U.S. Treasury going from 1.51% to 1.58%. International stocks were mixed, the EAFE declined by .58% but emerging markets rose .08%.

This week is a quiet one on the earnings and the economic front with reports on durable goods , existing home sales, and the second revision to the 2nd quarter GDP number. The second quarter earnings season is basically wrapped up and earnings for the S&P 500 index are expected to fall 2.1% compared to a year ago. This would mark the fourth quarterly earnings drop in a row. Much of the drop is due to the energy sector and lower oil prices, however, 5 of the 10 sectors in the S&P 500 will post declines as companies have struggled to increase sales in the face of slow global growth. The big news this week may be Fed chair Janet Yellen’s speech from the meeting in Jackson Hole as investors hope to get a reading on when the Fed will raise interest rates.

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.  The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” – Nelson Mandela


August 15, 2016 

Global markets rose last week bolstered by a rebound in the price of oil and the ongoing sense that the Fed remains on hold.  One for the record books – for the first time since 1999, all three major stock indices in the United States closed at record highs on Thursday.  Boy, it certainly doesn’t feel like market averages are at all-time highs, but this just reinforces the theme of our last quarterly newsletter – Speculation/Crisis/Recovery.

For the week, the DJIA finished higher by 0.33% while the broader-based S&P500 eked out a gain 0.12%.  International markets were strong as the EAFE Index jumped 2.85% for the week while emerging markets posted an increase of 2.81%.  Fixed income, represented by the Barclays Aggregate, finished the week higher by 0.42%.  As a result, the 10 YR US Treasury closed at a yield of 1.51% (down 7 bps from the previous week’s closing yield of 1.58%).  Gold fell by 0.60% to close at $1,335/oz.

On Thursday, the Department of Labor reported that initial jobless claims for the week ending August 6th were 266k … another confirmation of a robust labor market.  Offsetting the labor news was yet another tempering of global oil demand by the International Energy Agency.  More sour news came on Friday as retail sales were flat for the month of July … lower than the 0.5% expected increase.  These data points along with recent comments from Fed officials reinforce the “lower for longer” mantra for both interest rates and oil prices (mostly good news for consumers).

We expect volatility to remain high as investors digest conflicting economic and political news in the week ahead.  As always, we plan to look through the day-to-day news and focus on longer-term objectives.

Congratulations to Team USA!  We are proud of our athletes competing in the Olympics in Brazil … what a great testament to the American spirit.

Enjoy the summer …

“If you don’t have confidence, you’ll always find a way not to win.”  –  Carl Lewis

Employment Picking Up

August 8, 2016 

Markets continued muddling through a narrow trading range to finish slightly higher for the week. Investors patiently waited in anticipation for the Labor Department’s non-farm payroll report on Friday looking for more conviction in economic growth.  The report did not disappoint as 255,000 jobs were added in July (185,000 expected) in addition to upward revisions in previous months.  So far in 2016, the US economy has averaged 186,000 new jobs a month while showing an improving trend from May’s disappointing report that put any summer Fed Funds rate hike on hold. The markets rallied on Friday to finish the week slightly in the green with financials and technology leading the week.

For the week, the S&P 500 increased 0.49% to close at 2183. Smaller US companies representing the Russell 2000 were up 0.96% for the week.  International equities were mixed last week as the MSCI EAFE was down 1.35% while MSCI EM was up 1.44%. Yields backed up across the board as Friday’s payroll numbers likely increased the chances of a rate hike this year.  The 10yr US Treasury closed the week at a yield of 1.59, 13bps higher than the previous week’s close.

We look ahead to another week of company earnings with 24 companies in the S&P 500 reporting.  Economic data is fairly light this week, with Friday’s retails sales and the University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index being the only noteworthy reports.

“Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.” – Benjamin Disraeli

NDS Weekly Recap

August 1, 2016 

Markets ebbed and flowed while digesting a week filled with company earnings, Fed guidance and the preliminary 2nd Quarter GDP estimate.  Tech earnings were the highlight of the week with Alphabet (GOOG), Facebook (FB), and Apple (APPL) reporting better-than-expected results.  The FOMC concluded their two-day meeting on Wednesday leaving benchmark interest rates unchanged at 0.25% to 0.50%. This news came as little surprise to markets, but the Fed upgraded their overall assessment of the economy leaving the door open for a hike later this year. The week ended on a sour note as 2nd Quarter GDP came in at 1.2% vs. expectations of 2.6%. Digging into the report, U.S. consumer activity was quite robust while corporate investment was a drag on the headline number.

For the week, DJIA closed at 18432 for a weekly decline of 0.75%.  The broader-based S&P 500 closed at 2174 finishing the week lower by 0.05%.  International equity markets were positive for the week as the MSCI EAFE closed up 2.38% while MSCI EM increased 0.52%.  Treasury yields moved lower, gold was slightly higher, and oil closed the week in the red as concerns arose from declining demand.

We look ahead to another busy week of company earnings as 110 companies in the S&P 500 are set to report. In addition, a lot of attention will be paid to the July payroll number, which will hopefully support continuing strength in the U.S. labor market.

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”  –  Charles Swindoll